IAW AR 600-8-8 only first-term Soldiers are automatically assigned a sponsor. The sponsor will be of the same gender. Non first-term soldiers may request a sponsor by completing and forwarding a DA Form 5434, Sponsorship and Counselling Information Sheet to your gaining unit. Although this form is normally provided to Soldiers at their levy briefing, you may complete and send the form as soon as you receive your orders. A sponsor is highly recommended for a smooth transition to the 500th MI Bde in Hawaii. Please call (808)655-4784 for Sponsorship Information.

Back to top
In-processing Information

The following information should assist you and your family upon arrival and when In-processing at Schofield Barracks.
Questions concerning in-processing or leave extensions should be directed to:
500th Military Intelligence Brigade, ATTN: S1
1295 Pirowski Road
Bldg 1410, Fukuhara Hall
Schofield Barracks, Hawaii 96857
COM: 808-787-6828 or DSN: 315-437-6828

Soldier Support Center:
The Soldier and Family Support Center houses many of the in-processing stations:
Ayers Ave, Bldg 705
Schofield Barracks, HI 96789

Replacement Company Barracks:
This is the building you will need to report/check-in, to sign in off PCS leave and begin installation in-processing. Lodging in these barracks will be provided for single and geographically single soldiers. The building is located at the intersection of Wilson Street and Menoher Rd, Bldg 1020 Scofield Barracks, Hawaii Phone: 808-655-0389. The replacement detachment is open seven days a week, 24 hours per day. You will need to have a copy of your orders, Leave form (DA 31) and your travel itinerary.

Bldg 1020

Back to top
Documents required for In-processing:
  • Five copies of orders
  • Original DD Form 31, Request and Authority for Leave Form
  • 201 File
  • Medical and Dental Records
  • Finance receipts and paperwork
  • Proper military uniform
  • Marriage, Divorce and Dependant Birth Certificates
  • Mortgage/Lease Agreements
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Will
  • Child Support Documentation (Court Orders, Separation Agreements, etc.)
  • Medical Records, Shot Records, and if applicable, Vision and Hearing Records
  • Dental Records
  • SGLV Form 8286, Service members’ Group Life Insurance Election and Certificate
  • DD Form 93, Record of Emergency Data
Contact the Schofield Barracks MUIC Staff Duty at 910-396-0261.

Housing Info

1. There is a housing waiting list in Hawaii. Waiting times vary from a few days to a few months. For specifics contact the appropriate office:

North Regional Office
Housing Services Office
215 Duck Road, Building 950
Schofield Barracks, HI 96857
Monday - Friday (closed holidays)
808-275-3700 Fax 808-275-3729
Email: Schofield Housing
Serves: Schofield Barracks, Helemano Military Reservation (HMR) and Wheeler Army Airfield.

South Regional Office
Housing Services Office
Bldg. 344 Montgomery Drive
Fort Shafter, HI 96858
808-275-3800 Fax 808-842-7506
Email: Fort Shafter Housing
Serves: Aliamanu Military Reservation (AMR) and Tripler Army Medical Center
For BAH rate (use zip code: 96857, your rank): Per Diem

For BAH rate (use locality code: HI009): COLA

Back to top


Back to top


Locate vehicle

The Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) uses an Internet system to locate vehicles 24/7: "Where is my POV?" (enter your order number and last name). Or telephone for the same information at 1-800-843-8755, (808) 473-7760.

Back to top


Vehicle Registration

Hawaii POV Insurance

    Hawaii is a “No Fault State” and has special POV insurance requirements
  • •Contact your insurer before you arrive and make sure:
  • •Your policy will be valid in Hawaii
  • •Your insurance card meets Hawaii’s requirements
  • •Your proof of insurance must meet Hawaii’s requirements prior to completing the registration process.

Safety Inspection
    Hawaii requires initial and annual POV safety checks
  • •Most auto repair shops and the post auto craft shop conduct these safety checks (cost is $15.50 + tax)
  • •Initial Inspection
  • •You’ll get a BLUE “Pending Registration” certificate and take to DMV
  • •After registration at the DMV, come back to inspection station and get your PINK and YELLOW copies. They are good for one year
  • •Common Friction Points
  • •Not having valid Hawaii proof of insurance
  • •Not having current registration (Out of State is okay for initial check)
  • •Excessive window tint

    • •Vehicle must be registered within 30 days of arriving in Hawaii.
    • •Provide a current registration card in your name.
    • •Present your vehicle inspection certificate.
    • •Complete the Out-Of-State Vehicle Permit application form CS-L (MVR) 27.
    • •Submit the shipping receipt or bill of lading documenting the date of arrival.
    • •Cost is a set rate of $20.50, cash or check with Non-Resident Form
    • •If you wish to keep previous state registration:
    • •Obtain a safety check inspection and submit an "out-of-state vehicle permit application form" within 30 days. Considering that the approved "out-of-state vehicle permit" is only valid until the original registration's expiration date or for 12 months (whichever occurs first).
    • •If you choose this route, you will be exempt from the annual weight tax and any excise taxes in Hawaii.

    The DMV is located with the Police Station at 330 N. Cane Street, Wahiawa, HI 96786

Back to top



•These inspections are required for vehicles that have been modified from the original manufacturers’ specifications. Reconstruction inspections are conducted at 1112 KapahuluAvenue, under the overpass adjacent to the King Street, WaialaeAvenue and KapahuluAvenue intersection.
•Inspection hours 7:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. daily under the new appointment and walk-in system. Appointments can be scheduled by calling (808)733-2542.
Reconstructed vehicle regulations are a part of the State of Hawaii, Department of Transportation, Hawaii Administrative Rules. See Chapter 19-134, Approval of Reconstructed Vehicles.

Back to top


Airport Liaison Desk

From Honolulu International Airport:
Soldiers should inquire first at the airport USO (near baggage claim).
Otherwise a taxi to Schofield is about $60.00. Remember to retain your receipts for finance.
If driving yourself, head west (away from Honolulu) on H1, then take H2: See map.

Back to top

Temporary Lodging

The Inn at Schofield is the only on post official lodging facility. Statements of non-availability are only issued if official on post lodging is not available. Official travellers must attempt to gain on post official lodging before a Statement of Non-availability is issued.
All SSG and above or personnel travelling with dependants are responsible for arranging temporary lodging upon arrival Hawaii. Your sponsor can assist you in obtaining temporary lodging. Single Soldiers SGT and below are provided barracks housing.
If authorized you will be allowed Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA), at varying rates depending on number of family members, if any, arriving with you.
Some hotels require that you pay up front, so make sure you have adequate funds available (ie. Government Travel Card). You will not receive the first ten days of TLA until AFTER the first ten days has elapsed, so plan accordingly. You must submit a receipt from the hotel to the local finance office.
TLA will NOT be approved for any commercial hotel if there are rooms available in any of the Guest Houses at Tripler or Schofield Inn unless you have a statement of non-availability from the USARAW sign-in desk at the airport.
Click here for additional TLA Approved hotels

Back to top


There are two elementary schools on Schofield Barracks:
Solomon Elementary School
2875 Waianae Uka Ave Schofield Barracks, Hawaii 96786 and
Daniel K. Inouye Elementary School
Waianae Ave & Ayres Ave, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii 96857 - 808-305-3400.

There is one middle school located on Wheeler Army Airfield:
Wheeler Intermediate School
2 Wheeler Army Airfield, Wahiawa, HI 96786 - 808-622-6525.
For more information on Hawaii education, please click here.

Back to top

Family Services

External links Disclaimer
The appearance of hyperlinks to external sites does not constitute endorsement by the Department of the U.S. Army of the linked web site or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the Department of the U.S. Army does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations.

Back to top


*For directions to the Brigade
Take Lyman Road to South Range Road. Make a left on South Range Road. Then make a left on Kelly Rd (Second Left) and make another left on to Pirowski Road. The Brigade will be located on your left.

The parking lot behind the building is reserved. You may use the parking lot across from the back of the Brigade (limited availability), any available street parking or you may park in the parking lot located one block away from the front of the Brigade.

Back to top

Privately owned firearms

All personally owned firearms must first be registered with Honolulu Police Department (HPD) IAW Hawaii Statute.
Bring personally owned firearms to HPD HQ in a case (without ammo) to register within three -five days of the personally owned firearms arriving on the island
As of 16 JAN 12, personally owned firearm registration will be done at either the Schofield Barracks or Fort Shafter PMO
Bring the HPD registration to either PMO to register on post (don’t bring the personally owned firearms) within those same five days
Maintain the registration paperwork; you will need it when you PCS.

Auto mobile carry:
It is unlawful for any person on any public highway to carry on the person, possess, or to carry in a vehicle any loaded or unloaded firearm without a license to carry.

Open Carry:
Prohibited in all public areas

Back to top